Skip to main content

Taking Stock: October 2019


This blog was headed to a timely death. You see, I have been getting the hang of adulting. I am 26, going onto 27. Can you imagine that? I am knees deep in the mid 20s and crawling into the late 20s. Some days that scares me, but most days I feel as if the stars are aligned. Before we get reacquainted, let me take stock after 2 yrs, 9 months. 😅

Making: Big life decisions like venues, dates, and themes for my (our?) wedding. Who knew there were so many things to decide!

Cooking: Fish in healthy ways lately as I try to champion my partner to eat healthier and manage his blood pressure (I swear that I am not the cause of the blood pressure).

Drinking: Hot lemon and ginger (I know, a lot has changed in 2+ years yet I still have the flu!)

Reading: Sapiens (rather, struggling through Sapiens while finishing 2 other books in that time frame). I've been aiming to read at least 1 book a month this year and have done well, largely. I don't know why I am struggling with Sapiens yet Homo Deus and 21 Lessons for the 21st Century was such a breeze.

Wanting: A house with a garden where I can put out warm lights and host polite parties... I'll settle for an apartment with a second balcony.

Looking: for signs everywhere. I have made a lot of big life decisions and it all still feels all so new and all so scary

Playing: more board games. I learned how to play Monopoly. I bought this great, fun board game called Kenyan 50-50 Board Game

Wasting: less... as I become of an adult and climate change becomes real... To be honest, I am spending more money eating out than I should, and not getting nearly enough joy out of it.

Sewing: nothing! I haven't been crafty in a year. I will be taking my own measurements to import a wedding dress, if that counts.

Wishing: for love, good health, laughter and peace of mind for all my loved ones. This is happiness to me.

Enjoying: long lunches with friends to catch up. Enjoying quality time with my partner.

Waiting: for 5 p.m. to go on a coffee thing. Also waiting to get home to catch the latest Grey's Anatomy and This is Us episodes!

Liking: A lot of lace and boho-chic things

Wondering: If I will always feel this happy

Loving: My favorite dude

Hoping: To find a miracle a.k.a a beautiful, well manicured wedding venue that costs less then KES 50,000

Marveling: At how much things change while remaining the same.

Needing: A vacation! But unfortunately I only have just enough days to use up for Christmas vacation. I also need a self-care day.

Smelling: Nothing, with the flu. (See what I am marveling at above)

Wearing: A classic 'I barely have energy for anything today but still have to try to be cute' outfit made up of a black jacket, kimono like top, black pants and grey boots.

Following: A lot of boards on Pinterest

Noticing: My growing self confidence and just sense of 'self'

Knowing: how well and completely loved I am

Thinking: of how accessible everything is in this interconnected information age.

Feeling: A little overwhelmed at this point of the year. I have achieved so many goals in 2019 but it constantly feels as if the wheel never pauses.

Bookmarking: Words of affirmation and beautiful images on insta

Opening: Too many work related tabs with stuff that I need to read at some point

Giggling: At celebrity gossip on Edgar Obare's YT because I am not ashamed of my guilty pleasures.

Comments

  1. You are finally back after almost 3yrs, hoping we will see more blogs before taking stock at 30 :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Code... Not Neccesarily in that Order.

"The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in." Society can be such a drag. What, with all the unwritten, unsaid rules and codes. Guys have an elaborate ‘Bro Code’. In fact there’s a whole website . You will be surprised that Rule no. 1 of it is not the (in)famous ‘Bros before whores’. Girls have their own code too, though it’s not set in stone and varies among different groups of girls. The Girl code is especially tricky to girls like me who aren’t exactly programmed like other girls. So, I have a list of essential rules in the Girl Code. Some come with disclaimers and modifications. Some are universal while others are just stuff that my friends and I have come up with along the way. 1.        Should a Girl be critically injured, her Side-Girls are to never make jokes about it, unless the hurt Girl does first. I love my girlfriends…very much, but if said critical injury has risen as a result of a fall (wh

Of Doing Milk and Staying Young

Boredom inspires/ drives me to do the unthinkable... like texting him to say how I couldn’t stand pretending that I didn’t like him...or drinking a glass of milk. I do not DO milk. And no, I am not lactose intolerant. As Max in ‘2 Broke Girls’ aptly points out, “Poor people don’t just run out to buy anti-biotics. You man up, grow a pair, and stare germs in the face...booyah!” I may not be poor but I am definitely not rich. People in my economic bracket don’t get fancy diseases like eczema. We get rashes, and if you want to get all fancy then you will have to do with ‘allergies’. So, no, I am not lactose intolerant. Where I come from it’s just a plain, simple ‘I don’t drink milk.’ But here I am, with a now half empty glass of milk. (I hope you can detect the pessimism there or else my pun will have gone to waste) I suppose the ‘Do Milk, Stay Young’ campaign hasn’t gone to waste. All that sexual objectification of infants wasn’t in vain. “Sexual objectification?” you ask. Yes,

Fighting for my right to be wrong.

I feel as if our relationship has been progressing at an admirable rate... progressing enough for me not to just assume that someone somewhere is reading this, but to hope that this is so. Today has been a Monday, true to form. Murphy s law through and through. Anything that  could go wrong DID go wrong...but I don't want to bore you with the gory details. I do need to mention, though, that I was diagnosed with alarmingly high levels of typhoid fever. To be frank, I didn't feel THAT ill. I was simply mildly sick with a stomach ache and a head ache but the pharmacist wouldn't give me any meds until he had run some tests.Even after the diagnosis I still felt pretty amazing considering the shocked expression on the lab tech's face as he tries to make me understand how 'grave' my situation was. Dad wasn't as flippant about it as I was (His own face-to-face encounter with typhoid had confined him to bed for a week and he couldn't believe that my body was